Marshals: NoLibs shooting suspect tried to flee
NICETOWN - November 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest after a man was shot in the neck in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia last week.
Investigators tell Action News that 20-year-old Christopher Easter, of the 1500 block of Poplar Street, was taken into custody on Tuesday morning.
The U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force said in a news release that deputies arrested Easter at a home in the 1700 block of West Bristol Street in the Nicetown section around 9:00 a.m.
The Marshals say, as they converged on the home, Easter tried to escape through a second-story porch window. However, once he hit the ground, he was quickly surrounded and arrested.
The news release added that Easter has a number of prior arrests including charges of burglary, theft, receiving stolen property, robbery, and aggravated assault.
His arrest comes one week after 29-year-old Kevin Neary was seriously wounded as he was walking home from a bar.
Surveillance video shows Neary, heading home after a night out with friends, being followed by another man, identified by police as Easter.
Police say Easter then shot Neary in the 700 block of Bodine Street in what may have been an attempted robbery. Easter fled without taking any cash.
Action News last spoke to Neary's family on Friday as they waited by his hospital bedside. They said his injuries were serious but non-life-threatening.
Neary still remains hospitalized.
Investigators say solid leads developed after the surveillance video was broadcast by Action News on Thursday night.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, northern liberties, shooting, crime
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 48 min ago
- Jordan Brown murder case goes to Pa. high court
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 58 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm