'Curious George' owner turns himself in
UPPER PROVIDENCE, Pa. - November 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Investigators with the Delaware County SPCA say the owner responsible for leaving a young pit-bull starving and emaciated, turned himself into authorities Monday evening.
The dog, nicknamed 'Curious George' was found staggering along the 1600 block of Naamen's Creek Road near Boothwyn back in October.
The owner, 28-year-old Lamont Alexander, admitted to abandoning 'Curious George' in the early morning hours of Oct. 31.
"I thought the best thing to do would be to let him go, so I had someone drive me and let the dog go in Lower Chichester," said Alexander in a statement.
A passing resident found the animal and dropped it off to the SPCA for care.
Officials with the SPCA reported that the initial condition of the dog was the "worst act of cruelty and deprivation we've seen."
'Curious George' should have been about 60-70 pounds but instead weighed only 35 pounds.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the SPCA says the animal's condition has greatly improved. He now weighs a healthy 61 pounds and has regained his appetite.
Upon turning himself in, Alexander was cited for animal cruelty, failing to provide veterinary care and animal abandonment.
Each citation could carry the possibility of 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $750.
pennsylvania, delaware county, animal abuse, crime
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 3 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online 41 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 24 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams 51 min ago
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 18 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 11 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 15 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 13 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
3 min ago