'Curious George' owner turns himself in
UPPER PROVIDENCE, Pa. - November 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Investigators with the Delaware County SPCA say the owner responsible for leaving a young pit-bull starving and emaciated, turned himself into authorities Monday evening.
The dog, nicknamed 'Curious George' was found staggering along the 1600 block of Naamen's Creek Road near Boothwyn back in October.
The owner, 28-year-old Lamont Alexander, admitted to abandoning 'Curious George' in the early morning hours of Oct. 31.
"I thought the best thing to do would be to let him go, so I had someone drive me and let the dog go in Lower Chichester," said Alexander in a statement.
A passing resident found the animal and dropped it off to the SPCA for care.
Officials with the SPCA reported that the initial condition of the dog was the "worst act of cruelty and deprivation we've seen."
'Curious George' should have been about 60-70 pounds but instead weighed only 35 pounds.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the SPCA says the animal's condition has greatly improved. He now weighs a healthy 61 pounds and has regained his appetite.
Upon turning himself in, Alexander was cited for animal cruelty, failing to provide veterinary care and animal abandonment.
Each citation could carry the possibility of 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $750.
pennsylvania, delaware county, animal abuse, crime
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight 5 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 50 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 50 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 50 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts 41 min ago
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
6 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
50 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
50 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
50 min ago