Pa. governor signs 2 more death warrants
HARRISBURG, Pa. - November 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett has signed death warrants for two more inmates on death row, although the state last executed someone in 1999.
Corbett has now signed warrants for 10 of the approximately 208 people on death row since taking office this year.
Sixty-year-old Kenneth Hairston of Allegheny County is scheduled for lethal injection for killing his wife and autistic son in 2001.
Fifty-year-old Ralph Birdsong is set for execution for killing two Philadelphians in 1988. Both executions are set for January.
Pennsylvania has executed three people since the U.S. Supreme Court restored the death penalty in 1976.
Pennsylvania Chief Justice Ronald Castille has complained that public defenders are thwarting the legal process through repeated delays.
Death-penalty opponents point to the scores of death-row inmates exonerated across the country.
pennsylvania, gov. tom corbett, crime
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 48 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos