Pedestrian killed while trying to cross Parkway
MONTVALE, N.J. (AP) - November 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a pedestrian who was fatally struck as she tried to cross the Garden State Parkway in northern New Jersey had survived a severe beating from her former boyfriend several years ago.
State Police Sgt. Brian Polite tells The Record that 26-year-old Cristall Vaccarella of Manchester was struck by several cars late Thursday as she walked across the northbound lanes in Montvale. Most of the cars fled, but the driver of the first car that hit her remained at the scene and likely won't face charges.
It's not known why Vaccarella was crossing the highway.
The newspaper reports Vaccarella was severely beaten in a Wayne hotel room in 2005. She was hospitalized for several weeks, then underwent months of physical therapy to regain the use of her legs.
new jersey, accident, abuse, crime
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos