Bensalem police shoot knife-wielding man
BENSALEM, Pa. - December 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Officials say police shot a man in Bensalem after he confronted them with a knife.
The incident began around 3:50 p.m. at the Country Commons Apartments located at 3338 Richlieu Road.
Officials say police responded to a 911 call indicating that 26-year-old Victor Arango had beaten his mother.
Police arrived at 3:54 p.m. and met with Arango's mother at the apartment office.
Police say she had obvious signs of having been physically beaten and confirmed that her son was her attacker.
Two officers approached the apartment and began talking to Arango on the landing.
Arango told police that he's not going back to jail and entered the apartment.
Police managed to get inside the unit where they were confronted by Arango armed with a large kitchen knife.
The officers retreated and one of the officers discharged his weapon, striking Arango in the stomach.
Police say a brief struggle ensued and a female officer fell to the lower landing.
Arango was apprehended.
Both Arango and the female officer were transported to Aria Hospital-Torresdale Division where both are stable.
Arango is expected to face multiple charges including Aggravated Assault on both his mother and police and weapons offences.
Officials say Arango's mother says she will testify against him because this is not the first time he's attacked her.
pennsylvania, bensalem, bucks county, police, shooting, crime
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 31 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 7 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
31 min ago