Police raid South Street stores for counterfeits
PHILADELPHIA - December 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia and federal lawmen raided South Street four counterfeit products, and for one of the targets, it wasn't the first time.
Federal agents returned Thursday night, as part of the daylong raid.
They took boxes and boxes worth of evidence from an apartment on the 600 block of South Street.
Earlier in the day, agents tell Action News Discover Handbags and Lucky Store were filled with counterfeit merchandise including handbags, scarves and sunglasses.
All the merchandise have designer names on them, but officials say those names are fake.
Agents raided Discover Handbags for the same reasons back in 2009.
Tonight, neighbors told Action News that the store reopened just a few days after that raid.
Other business owners say they're tired of people selling the fake goods in their area.
"I think it's really hurting the other stores that sell the high-end handbags in this area. The guys across the street that sell the real product, it hurts them drastically," Nat Leonard of the Society Hill Pawnshop said.
Federal agents say the counterfeit items are also a risk to the public, because they can be shoddily made and dangerous.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, counterfeiting, raid, crime
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 37 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
37 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos