Guilty plea in West Goshen love triangle murder
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - December 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 22-year-old landscape worker from Chester County pleaded guilty Friday to conspiring with his girlfriend to kill her husband.
Stephen Shappell also agreed to testify against the girlfriend, 36-year-old Morgan Mengel.
Authorities say text messages show that Mengel enlisted Shappell's help in killing her husband, Kevin Mengel, back in June 2010.
Shappell admitted beating Kevin Mengel to death with a shovel after Morgan Mengel tried to poison him.
Shappell was an employee at Kevin Mengel's landscaping business, MKB Property Maintenance in West Goshen, Pa.
Kevin Mengel's body was found behind a school in Newtown Square on June 26, 2010.
Shappell pleaded guilty Friday morning to third degree murder and other charges. He faces 40 to 80 years behind bars.
pennsylvania, chester county, homicide, crime
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 2 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
2 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos