Police: Pa. man threatened to blow up house
EASTON, Pa. - December 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania man is in custody for a mental health evaluation after police say he disconnected a natural gas line at his home and threatened to ignite it.
State and local police say 42-year-old Jeffrey Matthews was coaxed from his Forks Township, Northampton County home Wednesday after about five hours of negotiations.
Authorities say Matthews refused to leave the home and threatened to light a match and ignite an explosion that would kill him and others.
The alleged threat prompted authorities to evacuated five nearby homes. Utility workers were able to turn off the gas outside the home.
No injuries were reported.
pennsylvania, standoff, crime
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot 4 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Tracking More Snow
43 min ago
- John Rawlins reports from Cherry Hill on...
56 min ago
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos