Police: Pa. man threatened to blow up house
EASTON, Pa. - December 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania man is in custody for a mental health evaluation after police say he disconnected a natural gas line at his home and threatened to ignite it.
State and local police say 42-year-old Jeffrey Matthews was coaxed from his Forks Township, Northampton County home Wednesday after about five hours of negotiations.
Authorities say Matthews refused to leave the home and threatened to light a match and ignite an explosion that would kill him and others.
The alleged threat prompted authorities to evacuated five nearby homes. Utility workers were able to turn off the gas outside the home.
No injuries were reported.
pennsylvania, standoff, crime
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 21 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ