Veteran shot six times in West Oak Lane
WEST OAK LANE - December 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are trying to get to the bottom of a mysterious shooting that's left a local veteran in critical condition.
Investigators say 67-year-old James Carr was walking along a West Oak Lane street when two armed men jumped in his path and started shooting.
Carr told police the two masked men emerged from bushes on the 1900 block of 74th Avenue and began firing, hitting him six times.
His grandson James Carr III told Action News of his grandfather's wounds.
"His right arm's broken, two bullets there, one bullet in the left arm, he was shot twice in the side, once in the back," Carr III said.
Carr's daughter Atiya Devone calls her a father a "truly awesome guy."
"I don't know why in the world somebody would ever want to hurt him. This is awful," Devone said.
The 67-year-old is being treated at Albert Einstein Medical Center where his relatives remain baffled by why someone would want to shoot him. And so are police.
Carr is an Air Force veteran. He is retired after a long career at Kraft Foods and he has never been in trouble with the law.
Investigators say the shooters said nothing and didn't rob Carr.
After being shot, Carr was able to stumble along an entire block leaving a trail of blood.
He then made it around the corner, down Cheltenham Avenue, and finally into Lee's Hoagie House.
"He said, 'I don't know them, I was just walking, I'm just minding his own business,'" Joe Carmichael of Lee's said.
Police believe the suspects got away in a dark red or burgundy early to mid-1990s Ford Taurus.
Right now, detectives have no leads.
His grandson says Carr is a strong man and will bounce back.
His daughter does have a message for the suspects.
"You know who you are. Turn yourself in. Please do that. This wasn't right," Devone said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, west oak lane, shooting, crime, chad pradelli
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 41 min ago