Philly sees bloody year end and start; 6 dead
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Philadelphia say the old year ended and the new year began on a bloody note with six people killed and a number of others injured in violence around the city.
Police found a man in his car in upper north Philadelphia on Saturday afternoon. He had several gunshot wounds, and died at Temple University Hospital, police said. He was identified as Kevin Moore, 26.
Shortly before midnight Saturday two people were found shot to death in a parked car in the Olney section of north Philadelphia, police said. The two people were identified as Arlette Aguero, 31, and Alejandro Garro, 34. Investigators said Sunday they did not know the motive for the double homicide and had made no arrests.
A few minutes after midnight, an elderly man was found with a stab wound to the chest at a home in south Philadelphia, police said. Joseph Testa, 77, died less than an hour later at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Police said Testa was stabbed during a domestic dispute; they arrested a 52-year-old man in the slaying.
Just north of the city center, officers searching early Sunday after hearing gunshots found a 23-year-old man in the road. He had a gunshot wound to the shoulder, and died less than an hour later at Hahnemann University Hospital, police said. His name was not released, pending notification of his family.
Gunshots sounded in northeastern Philadelphia also early Sunday. Police said Gerard Market, 48, was in an argument with another person and was found with bullet wounds to his neck and back. He died at Temple University Hospital, police said. No immediate arrests were made.
Officers and emergency crews were also kept busy responding to nonfatal shootings that sent others to the hospital.
Before 2 a.m. Sunday, gunfire erupted after a man got into an altercation with the host of a New Year's Eve party in west Philadelphia, police said. Three people were sent to the hospital with gunshot wounds.
A little later, a 27-year-old man who said he was stabbed in the stomach by a man who approached him on a northeast Philadelphia street was taken to a hospital in critical condition. And shortly before dawn, another man was shot in the head in north Philadelphia and listed in guarded condition.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, south philadelphia, stabbing, new year's, homicide, crime
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police