Shots fired at Phila. police in two separate incidents
PHILADELPHIA - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police came under fire shortly after midnight as an armed man fired his shotgun at officers in Hunting Park.
It happened in the school yard of Grover Cleveland Elementary on the 3900 block of North 19th Street.
Officers on patrol came across the man armed with a shotgun, firing into the air.
Authorities ordered the man to cease fire but instead the man pointed his gun at police, fired a shot and missed.
Police returned fire but also missed.
As the man fled the scene, officers followed on foot but the subject was never apprehended.
This was the second incident involving celebratory gunfire overnight.
The first happened shortly after midnight on the 3200 block of North 32nd Street in Strawberry Mansion.
Police caught an armed man firing shots into the air. The man refused to drop his weapon and pointed the gun at police.
Officers fired at the man, forcing him to surrender.
The subject was then taken into custody and faces a number of charges.
No one was injured in either incident.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, hunting park, strawberry mansion, shooting, philadelphia police, police, crime
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 7 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 55 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape