Shots fired at Phila. police in two separate incidents
PHILADELPHIA - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police came under fire shortly after midnight as an armed man fired his shotgun at officers in Hunting Park.
It happened in the school yard of Grover Cleveland Elementary on the 3900 block of North 19th Street.
Officers on patrol came across the man armed with a shotgun, firing into the air.
Authorities ordered the man to cease fire but instead the man pointed his gun at police, fired a shot and missed.
Police returned fire but also missed.
As the man fled the scene, officers followed on foot but the subject was never apprehended.
This was the second incident involving celebratory gunfire overnight.
The first happened shortly after midnight on the 3200 block of North 32nd Street in Strawberry Mansion.
Police caught an armed man firing shots into the air. The man refused to drop his weapon and pointed the gun at police.
Officers fired at the man, forcing him to surrender.
The subject was then taken into custody and faces a number of charges.
No one was injured in either incident.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, hunting park, strawberry mansion, shooting, philadelphia police, police, crime
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 18 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years 36 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 6 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 5 min ago
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire