Shots fired at Phila. police in two separate incidents
PHILADELPHIA - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police came under fire shortly after midnight as an armed man fired his shotgun at officers in Hunting Park.
It happened in the school yard of Grover Cleveland Elementary on the 3900 block of North 19th Street.
Officers on patrol came across the man armed with a shotgun, firing into the air.
Authorities ordered the man to cease fire but instead the man pointed his gun at police, fired a shot and missed.
Police returned fire but also missed.
As the man fled the scene, officers followed on foot but the subject was never apprehended.
This was the second incident involving celebratory gunfire overnight.
The first happened shortly after midnight on the 3200 block of North 32nd Street in Strawberry Mansion.
Police caught an armed man firing shots into the air. The man refused to drop his weapon and pointed the gun at police.
Officers fired at the man, forcing him to surrender.
The subject was then taken into custody and faces a number of charges.
No one was injured in either incident.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, hunting park, strawberry mansion, shooting, philadelphia police, police, crime
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 40 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 20 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 36 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 38 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 34 min ago
- Pennsylvania Turnpike pileup exposed gaps, officials say 3 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures