Winter Classic fans brawl at Geno's caught on tape
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - January 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- One man had to be hospitalized after a clash between hockey fans following the Winter Classic Game on Monday night.
Video of the fight posted on YouTube showed an argument between a group of Flyers fans and a handful of New York Rangers fans standing in line at Geno's Steaks, the cheesesteak landmark in South Philadelphia.
Things quickly got physical when one of the Flyers fans suddenly took a swing at a Rangers fan. After several punches, the Rangers fan is overcome and falls to the ground. On the ground, the victim was then punched by a second man while a third tried to intervene, both wearing Flyers jerseys.
A second man in a Rangers jersey then joined the fight, but he too was quickly attacked, being punched and knocked to the ground.
The first Rangers fan, no longer the focus of the attackers, manages to get back on his feet. But within seconds, he is punched and falls to the ground. As the video ends, he seems to lie on the ground unconscious.
Video of the incident was posted on YouTube and South Detectives were notified. According to police, one of the victims was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for unspecified injuries following the incident.
Detectives are questioning a number of people and the investigation is ongoing.
fight, philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia flyers, south philadelphia, crime
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 3 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Several cars vandalized in South Philadelphia 47 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish