Exclusive: Car thieves drag man for blocks
PHILADELPHIA - January 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are searching for three suspects who dragged a man for blocks and drove off with his car.
The victim, Vincent Johnson, remains in a coma.
Police say Johnson left his car running as he went into a convenience store on Saturday afternoon, at 8th and South streets.
When the 24-year-old South Street barber exited the store, police say, three men were in the process of stealing his car.
Surveillance video shows that Johnson tried to stop them by holding onto the car door as they drove off.
Police say the thieves dragged Johnson three blocks down South Street until he collapsed into the street severely injured.
Johnson's mother Angelina Adu says her son was taken to Pennsylvania Hospital where he underwent surgery to combat swelling of the brain.
"Four or five CAT scans, he had to go through surgery to have part of his skull removed to lower the pressure from the brain swelling," Adu said.
The stolen car is a late model, black 4-door Acura sedan with tinted windows.
As the police look for the thieves, who could also face aggravated assault charges, Vincent Johnson is battling to stay alive.
"We all know maybe you should let the car go, but maybe at that time you don't know what he was thinking and you won't ever know until he comes out of the coma," Adu said.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, carjacking, crime, vernon odom
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 39 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Snow Ball 2013: Eagles vs. Lions 21 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief