Record cocaine seizure at Philadelphia airport
PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - January 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Customs officers at Philadelphia International Airport have seized 130 pounds of cocaine, with a street value of about $4 million.
It is believed to be the largest cocaine seizure ever at the airport.
The cocaine was found bundled inside three unattended duffel bags on Sunday. The bags arrived on a flight from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
Officers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) collected the bags after passengers left the international inspection station at the airport. A CBP narcotics detector dog then sniffed the bags and indicated to the officers the possible presence of narcotics.
Officers unpacked the bags' contents and discovered a total of 52 bricks wrapped in blankets. Two bags contained 18 bricks each, the third contained 16 bricks. The bricks, which weighed a combined 59.2 kilograms, or 130 pounds, 8 ounces, field-tested positive for the presence of cocaine.
So far no arrests have been made.
The previous largest cocaine seizure at Philadelphia International was 55 pounds of the powdery narcotic, seized on August 5, 2000.
"This is by far the largest amount of cocaine that any of us can remember seizing in the airport environment in Philadelphia," said Allan Martocci, CBP Port Director for the Area Port of Philadelphia, said in a statement.
"The volume alone raises concern for us. Customs and Border Protection officers remain steadfastly vigilant to stop narcotics here at our border before it can hurt our families and our communities. Any day that we can remove 130 pounds of cocaine from circulation is a good day," said Martocci.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, drugs, philadelphia international airport, crime
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos