NJ prosecutor to review charge against professor
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - January 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey prosecutor will review the case of a professor after firefighters found a 1970s magazine depicting naked prepubescent girls while battling a blaze at his Jersey shore home.
Pratt Institute architecture professor Gamal El-Zoghby was charged with child endangerment after the Jan. 17 fire at his Eagleswood Township home.
The 76-year-old was due to appear in Municipal Court on Wednesday. But the charges were turned over to the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.
The office will review the case and decide whether to present it to a grand jury.
His attorney Hal Haveson says his client bought the magazine decades ago and hasn't looked at it since.
El-Zoghby will seek to enter a program which lets first-time offenders charged with nonviolent crimes have a criminal record wiped clean.
new jersey, child porn, crime
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
43 min ago