Deadly shooting rocks West Chester neighborhood
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - January 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chester County authorities are investing a deadly shooting in West Chester.
Prosecutors say gunfire erupted at 2:00 a.m. Friday, unleashing a hail of bullets at the intersection of Matlack and Chestnut Streets.
23-year-old Towayne Uqdah of Philadelphia was struck and killed.
Stray bullets riddled the scene. One bullet pierced the window of an occupied residence.
Police are trying to determine what sparked the killing.
"This was a violent attack in the middle of a residential neighborhood," said Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan, in a statement. "One young man is dead and many innocent local homeowners were placed in grave danger. We are hitting this case from every possible angle."
"This type of violence is completely uncharacteristic for West Chester," said West Chester Police Chief Scott Bohn. "The Borough only had one homicide in 2011 and none in 2010. We will devote every resource to solving this case."
Hogan said the deadly shooting marks the second homicide in Chester County this week.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact West Chester Police Detective Stan Billie at 610-696-2700 or Chester County Detective Butch Dutter at 610-692-5100.
pennsylvania, shooting, chester county, west chester, homicide, crime
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 43 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 9 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 16 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News 51 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 39 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 45 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
43 min ago