Beaten cab driver speaks exclusively to Action News
PHILADELPHIA - January 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia cab driver who was attacked and beaten in Center City Saturday night spoke exclusively with Action News on Sunday.
The driver of the Liberty cab was stopped at a red light at 15th and Chestnut Streets around 8:25pm Saturday night when a group of teens started calling his passenger derogatory names.
They pulled the passenger out of the car and began beating him. When the driver came to his aid, he was assaulted, too.
"They were throwing stuff on us, and the two men, one hit me on my stomach, and the other one hit me here" said the driver, who did not want to be identified.
"They hit him in the mouth, in the head, but I didn't see him after that, because he ran into the people and he disappeared."
The driver finally chased them off with a tire iron.
He flagged down police, who arrested three boys, two 17-year-olds and a 15-year-old. Each of the face a list of charges, including aggravated assault.
beating, philadelphia, pennsylvania, crime
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire 21 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons 36 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ