$875,000 in jewelry stolen in Rittenhouse Square
RITTENHOUSE SQUARE - February 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are looking for the man who stole $875,000 in jewelry from an apartment in Rittenhouse Square.
Investigators released surveillance video of the suspect on Wednesday. The crime happened around 11:40 a .m. on Wednesday, January 18th.
Police believe it may have been an inside job, saying the suspect knew where he was going and was in and out of the building within just a few minutes.
VIDEO: Watch the surveillance video released by police
According to police, the man entered the victim's apartment in the 29th floor of the Dorchester building after entering through a construction zone on Locust Street.
"He knew where he was going and we believe he had prior knowledge. This was not a random act," said Lt. Pat Dougherty of the Philadelphia Police.
While inside, the suspect took various pieces, mostly gold rings, from an elderly woman who collects jewelry.
The thief then fled the apartment, police say, went down the elevator and exited the rear of the building back onto Locust.
The suspect is described as a 30-year-old black male standing about six feet tall with a large build. Police say he was wearing a green or blue jacket, a dark knit colored hat and dark colored jeans.
Residents of this tony Center City neighborhood say the bustling area can be ideal for thieves to go unnoticed.
"It's unfortunate in this day and age that we do need security in these high rises," said Louise Littman.
"Somebody informed on that women's collection. What can I say, that's why you have to be so careful about whom you admit in your apartment," said Florence Hanker.
"If you know a loved one is getting up in age, you should take some steps to safeguard these heirlooms, to not leave them in an apartment where these types of things can happen," said Lt. Dougherty.
Police ask that anyone with information dial 911, the police tipline at 215-586-TIPS (8477) or through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, crime
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 56 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school 4 min ago
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests