NJ dad who threw brick that hit daughter surrenders
BRICK, N.J. - February 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a New Jersey man who allegedly injured his young daughter when he threw a brick during a domestic argument with the child's mother last month has turned himself in.
Twenty-five-year-old Edward Smith of Hamilton Township (Mercer County) faces several charges, including assault and child endangerment. But authorities don't believe he intentionally tried to hurt the 3-year-old girl during the Jan. 28 confrontation in Brick.
The child was struck in the face by the brick. It knocked out a tooth, and she needed stitches for a cut on her upper lip.
Smith surrendered to Allentown police late this week and was later turned over to Brick police. He was being held Saturday on $150,000 bail, and it was not known if he had retained an attorney.
Authorities tell the Asbury Park Press that Smith went to his ex-girlfriend's apartment, violating a restraining order. Smith left when the woman told him to leave, but then grabbed a landscaping brick and threw it through a glass sliding door. Police say Smith's daughter happened to be standing in the kitchen at the time and was hit by the brick.
Smith then allegedly re-entered the apartment and broke the woman's cell phone before stealing her car. The vehicle was later found at the Lakewood home of one of Smith's relatives.
Information from: Asbury Park Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey, mercer county, crime
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ