NJ dad who threw brick that hit daughter surrenders
BRICK, N.J. - February 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a New Jersey man who allegedly injured his young daughter when he threw a brick during a domestic argument with the child's mother last month has turned himself in.
Twenty-five-year-old Edward Smith of Hamilton Township (Mercer County) faces several charges, including assault and child endangerment. But authorities don't believe he intentionally tried to hurt the 3-year-old girl during the Jan. 28 confrontation in Brick.
The child was struck in the face by the brick. It knocked out a tooth, and she needed stitches for a cut on her upper lip.
Smith surrendered to Allentown police late this week and was later turned over to Brick police. He was being held Saturday on $150,000 bail, and it was not known if he had retained an attorney.
Authorities tell the Asbury Park Press that Smith went to his ex-girlfriend's apartment, violating a restraining order. Smith left when the woman told him to leave, but then grabbed a landscaping brick and threw it through a glass sliding door. Police say Smith's daughter happened to be standing in the kitchen at the time and was hit by the brick.
Smith then allegedly re-entered the apartment and broke the woman's cell phone before stealing her car. The vehicle was later found at the Lakewood home of one of Smith's relatives.
Information from: Asbury Park Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey, mercer county, crime
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- United Airlines outage delays some travelers at PHL 3 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 3 min ago
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends 15 min ago