Police: Bucks mom left baby alone outside in cart
BENSALEM, Pa. - February 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Bucks county woman is behind bars after police say two passersby found her one-year-old daughter outdoors alone in a shopping cart in near-freezing temperatures.
It happened Sunday morning outside the Bucks Meadows Apartments on Knights Road in Bensalem.
Police say two residents of the apartment complex found the baby girl alone and crying in a shopping cart at 7:30 a.m. The cart was located on a grassy area separating the apartment complex from a shopping center.
While one resident comforted the baby, the other went looking for the baby's mother or father. After 5-10 minutes, police say, the resident located Loretta Hall.
When police arrived, they say Hall, 30, of the 1600 block of Durham Road in Middletown, Pa. appeared visibly intoxicated. According to police, an investigation revealed that Hall had been drinking, and also been taking an anti-seizure medication Saturday night and into Sunday morning.
The baby, officers said, was "very cold to the touch" and was not dressed for the 35 degree temperature outside.
Hall was arrested, charged with endangering the welfare of a child and recklessly endangering another person, arraigned before District Judge Robert Wagner and sent to Bucks County prison in lieu of $50,000 bail.
The baby was treated at St. Mary Medical Center in Middletown and is now in the custody of the Bucks County Children and Youth Social Services Agency.
pennsylvania, children, bensalem, bucks county, crime
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 39 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 55 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
17 min ago