Tires slashed, lives disrupted in Mayfair
MAYFAIR - February 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Talk about needless aggravation. Imagine how the residents of this block felt Monday morning as they headed out to work, only to find their tires slashed.
Mike Wagner was among over a dozen victims on the 4000 block of Aldine Street.
"They got Gilberts, they got Lee, they missed my wife, but they got cars up here," said Wagner.
And to make matters worse, this isn't the first time.
"Her tire got slashed four times: today, two Mondays ago, three Mondays ago, and then two Fridays ago," said Christina Hewitt.
It is getting expensive.
"The first time, it was like $185 apiece, almost $600 for four tires. And now we're losing another one," said Chris Cottle.
It's an expense the hard working people in this neighborhood don't need.
"You know we go to work every day," said David Toledo. "Then you have to call in late and explain to them, 'My tires are flat.' It's not right, it's not. It's not right."
The police are getting an earful.
"As a community we're not going to tolerate this anymore. People are frustrated," said Milt Martelack of the Mayfair Townwatch.
The neighborhood town watch has been trying to catch the vandals in action, with no luck. And the vandalism has led to sleepless nights.
"When it first happened to me, I couldn't get any sleep. I'm in and out of the window all night, trying to hear a noise, looking out the window. It's frustrating," said Cottle.
"I've got COPD, I'm out on disability. I can't even jack it up and change it now," said Wagner of the slashed tire on his car. "I have to call triple-A."
The police say they're on it.
"We're going to have officers in this area in plain clothes and in uniform to try to deter what happened out here," said Philadelphia 15th District Police Captain Frank Bachmayer.
The detective unit is now on the case, hoping to find surveillance video and witnesses.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, vandalism, mayfair, crime, david henry
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 30 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 41 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
23 min ago