Annual Valentine's warrant sweep nabs 22
PHILADELPHIA - February 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- It wasn't Cupid, but members of the Fugitive Task Force knocking on dozens of doors this Valentine's Day.
Action News rode along with the Philadelphia Sheriff's Office, which teamed up with sheriff's departments from Montgomery County, Bucks County, Chester County and Delaware County to serve outstanding warrants.
It was the 15th year the task force served the warrants on Valentine's Day.
In all, 22 men and women - wanted for robbery, burglary, drug offenses, armed assault, domestic abuse and outstanding child support payments - were taken into custody.
"This morning we also served notice to those on the lam that no matter where you hide, we will find you, and no matter how far you run or how fast, we will catch you", said Philadelphia Sheriff Jewell Williams.
The raids began at 2:30 a.m. with approximately 50 officers and two dogs trained to sniff out drugs and cadavers.
"While on the run they become involved in even more criminal activities to sustain themselves, including robbery, burglary, and drug trafficking. Getting them off the street also helps to decrease the overall level of violence in the city," said Sheriff Williams.
Sheriff Williams said his department has about 2,900 warrants on file. He urged anyone with information on fugitives in the city to call 215-686-3578 to give an anonymous tip.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, montgomery county, bucks county, chester county, delaware county, crime
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 30 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos