Stray bullet critically wounds 11-year-old NJ girl
ASBURY PARK, N.J. (AP) - February 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors say an 11-year-old New Jersey girl who was cleaning her room was hit in the face by a stray bullet when someone started shooting into her home this weekend.
Authorities say Sunday night's shooting was drug-related and that a person inside the Asbury Park home was the intended target. But they declined to provide further details, citing the ongoing investigation.
The girl, whose name was not disclosed due to her age, was alert and able to speak with emergency responders. She remained hospitalized Monday in critical condition.
No other injuries were reported.
It's not clear how many people may have been involved in the shooting.
Monmouth County prosecutors said Monday that one man has been charged with obstruction of justice, but they declined to provide further details.
new jersey, shooting, monmouth county, crime
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load