Police: Tips led to speedy arrest in Bucks County hit-and-run
BRISTOL TWP., Pa - February 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have made an arrest in this weekend's deadly hit and run in Bucks County.
Action News was there as 23-year-old Charles Horrocks was taken into custody by Bristol Township officers overnight - a sweatshirt covering his head.
Officers say he was behind the wheel of a black Audi that struck and killed 36-year-old Eric Beck early Sunday morning after leaving a birthday party at a local bar.
Beck had called his mother for a ride home and she arrived on the scene just in time to hold her son's hand as he died.
Police records reveal that Horrocks was travelling approximately 60 miles an hour, and illegally passed another car on the right, when he allegedly struck Beck. The impact was enough to send Beck sailing over the vehicle's roof.
Police say Horrocks then took his damaged Audi to a storage facility, planning to dump it the following day.
The arrest comes less than a day after Bristol Township Police were called to a storage facility in Fairless Hills where they impounded the black Audi believed to be involved in the hit and run.
Local authorities say their investigation moved at a particularly swift pace thanks to tip calls they received after the hit and run showed up on the Sunday morning news. They say this crime seemed to have hit a really raw nerve with the public.
"This is a particularly heinous crime," said Lt. Gaetano Sava. "I mean, to strike a human being and leave him on the side of the road dying, and then to put forth efforts to conceal the vehicle and all, I think is disturbing."
Investigators say they found the suspect at a friend's house in Yardley and he was arrested without incident.
In the meantime, Eric Beck's family says his remain will be cremated and his funeral service is scheduled for Saturday.
pennsylvania, bucks county, hit and run, accident, pedestrian struck, crime
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs