Delaware County break-ins on the rise
NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. - February 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a man they believe is responsible for a series of home burglaries in Newtown Square.Authorities say five homes were hit during the daytime in the past week. The suspect faces four counts of burglary and will be arraigned Thursday morning.
Curt Roehrig's rental property along route 252 was one of five residences in Newtown Square to be hit by burglars since late last week.
The house next door was hit the same way in broad daylight last Thursday.
On Friday, burglars hit two adjacent houses on Main Street in Newtown Square, getting away with laptops and all sorts of small electronics.
All the residents were away from home working when they were targeted.
"In this economy with the prices of gold the way they are, we find that people are breaking into homes, stealing jewelry, and other small items of convenience that they can sell quickly," Lt. Chris Lunn of the Newtown Police Department said.
Along Main Street, there is considerable tension.
One of the break-in victims had to purchase a new computer. She is still too shook up to talk on camera about her home being violated.
Other neighborhood residents are on guard.
"Keep your doors locked, windows locked, a lot of these are first level homes that got hit," resident Denise Dougherty said.
In neighboring Marple Township, the rate of burglaries has doubled over last year's pace in the first two months of 2012.
Curt Roehrig's neighborhood was plagued by burglaries 18 months ago, now it's happening again and he is worried.
"My wife comes home every day and she wonders is someone going to be in the house, has someone been in there; you don't know what you're going to walk into when you walk home," Roehrig said.
Police in both jurisdictions continue to warn residents to be on alert 24/7 and dial 911 immediately if you see anything suspicious.
pennsylvania, delaware county, break-in, crime, vernon odom
- More Snow on the Way 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder 23 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington 29 min ago
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
- More Snow on the Way
19 min ago
- Preparing for more snow on Tuesday
30 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
23 min ago
- Woman stabbed to death in Germantown
28 min ago