Philadelphia police bust cockfighting and drug rings
HUNTING PARK - March 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say they broke up a drug ring around the city, which also led them to an apparent cockfighting ring where more than 100 birds were found.
Police responded to a home on the 4000 block of North Fairhill Street for complaints of excessive noise Thursday.
While at that residence, police and animal officials confiscated approximately 30 roosters believed to be used for cockfighting.
In the midst of that investigation, police overheard more noise coming from down the block.
After walking a few houses down, officers discovered dozens of birds in a rear yard.
Officials requested a warrant.
They obtained the warrant this evening and entered the property.
PSPCA officials say they recovered approximately 75 additional birds.
The recovered birds are said to be more high-end than they've been accustomed to seeing.
PSPCA spokesman George Bengal says his initial thought is that many of the birds may have been imported.
In all, the SPCA says it rescued around 100 birds, 47 roosters dressed for fights, and 50 hens and chicks.
Police also recovered drugs, guns, and money at this same location as part of a massive drug sting that went on throughout the day. Philadelphia police arrested a suspect on the drug charges.
Humane officers have identified a second suspect.
Animal cruelty charges are pending.
As for the drug ring, beginning at 6:00 a.m, various units of the Philadelphia police narcotics teams hit the streets serving more than 90 warrants in the 24th, 25th and 26th districts, as well as parts of Northeast Philadelphia.
Their efforts netted 100 arrests, including two juveniles.
Authorities confiscated 30 guns, including assault rifles, two vehicles, $41,000 cash, and various drugs including cocaine, crack, heroin, marijuana, PCP, and OxyContin.
In all, police say they rid the streets of $198,000 of drugs.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, animal abuse, animals, spca, drugs, guns, money, raid, crime
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 10 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital