Former Eagle Freddie Mitchell indicted in tax scheme
PHILADELPHIA - March 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Freddie Mitchell made his mark during his four years with the Eagles, known mostly for his showboating antics, and that famous 4th and 26..
An indictment from a Florida grand jury charges Mitchell with conspiracy and income tax fraud..
It says he was recruited by a couple from Northeast Philadelphia to bring them professional athletes as tax clients..
The indictment says Jamie and Richard Walls falsified wage and tax statements to make it appear their clients were owed tax refunds of anywhere between $170,000 dollars and $1.9-million..
It says Mitchell helped bring in a professional athlete identified in the indictment only by the initials A.G..
It says Jamie and Richard Walls convinced A.G. that they could get him a $1.9-million tax refund..
The indictment charges they then falsified records for A.G. and submitted phony returns to the I.R.S..
Mitchell allegedly got a $100,000 up front payment from A.G. .
In all, the government contends the Walls' and Mitchell tried to collect a total of $2.2-million worth of phony refund claims on behalf of their clients..
RELATED: Read the full indictment
The indictment says they claimed those clients had been paid millions, and that millions were withheld from their paychecks by a company called Chameleon Enterprises..
At the time, the indictment says, Freddie Mitchell was the sole manager and employee of Chameleon Enterprises. .
Freddie Mitchell may need more than 4th and 26 to beat this rap. .
The two charges against him are felonies that could land him serious jail time. .
The Walls were arrested Sunday in Bensalem on a federal fugitive warrant.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, crime
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands