Delco babysitter convicted for toddler's death
MEDIA, Pa. - January 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County woman was convicted of third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of a toddler in her care.
The Delaware County Daily Times says Delaware County jurors deliberated for about 5½ hours before convicting 24-year-old Heather Hess on Friday on those counts as well as endangering the welfare of a child and aggravated assault.
Hess testified that she was playing "airplane" with 2½-year-old David Miller Jr. in December 2011 but the toddler hit a wall. She said she told police and paramedics that he had choked on a water bottle cap because she didn't want to get into trouble.
Prosecutors, however, said the child was shaken violently and his injuries couldn't have been caused by hitting a wall.
Sentencing is scheduled for March.
Information from: Delaware County Daily Times
pennsylvania, delaware county, child death, crime
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier