Delco babysitter convicted for toddler's death
MEDIA, Pa. - January 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County woman was convicted of third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of a toddler in her care.
The Delaware County Daily Times says Delaware County jurors deliberated for about 5½ hours before convicting 24-year-old Heather Hess on Friday on those counts as well as endangering the welfare of a child and aggravated assault.
Hess testified that she was playing "airplane" with 2½-year-old David Miller Jr. in December 2011 but the toddler hit a wall. She said she told police and paramedics that he had choked on a water bottle cap because she didn't want to get into trouble.
Prosecutors, however, said the child was shaken violently and his injuries couldn't have been caused by hitting a wall.
Sentencing is scheduled for March.
Information from: Delaware County Daily Times
pennsylvania, delaware county, child death, crime
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 13 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire 55 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos