Man convicted in Tacony 'dog waste' murder
TACONY - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man was convicted of murder and faces up to 45 years in prison for shooting his neighbor in a dispute over dog waste.
28-year-old Tyrirk Harris of Tacony was found guilty Friday of third degree murder.
The victim, 46-year-old Franklin Manuel Santana, was shot and killed in February 2012.
Santana, and his wife Roxanne had just welcomed a six-week-old baby.
Roxanne said her husband had just gotten home from work when he noticed that Harris' dogs, a German shepherd and a Chihuahua, had defecated in his yard. Neighbors say Santana asked Harris to please clean it up but, according to witnesses, what happened next was totally unexpected.
"He was telling the guy, 'please do not let your dog poop on my lawn; please, at least clean it up,'" witness Francis Fogarty said.
Fogarty said Harris answered back by saying, 'You're getting cocky with me?' According to Fogarty, Harris then shot Santana in the face. As Santana fell, witnesses say, Harris fired several more shots at him.
Harris was later taken into custody and charged.
While he faces up to 45 years in prison, sentencing is scheduled for April 26th.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, tacony, homicide, shooting, animals, crime
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation 27 min ago
- Teen shot in Wilmington
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition