Man convicted in Tacony 'dog waste' murder
TACONY - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man was convicted of murder and faces up to 45 years in prison for shooting his neighbor in a dispute over dog waste.
28-year-old Tyrirk Harris of Tacony was found guilty Friday of third degree murder.
The victim, 46-year-old Franklin Manuel Santana, was shot and killed in February 2012.
Santana, and his wife Roxanne had just welcomed a six-week-old baby.
Roxanne said her husband had just gotten home from work when he noticed that Harris' dogs, a German shepherd and a Chihuahua, had defecated in his yard. Neighbors say Santana asked Harris to please clean it up but, according to witnesses, what happened next was totally unexpected.
"He was telling the guy, 'please do not let your dog poop on my lawn; please, at least clean it up,'" witness Francis Fogarty said.
Fogarty said Harris answered back by saying, 'You're getting cocky with me?' According to Fogarty, Harris then shot Santana in the face. As Santana fell, witnesses say, Harris fired several more shots at him.
Harris was later taken into custody and charged.
While he faces up to 45 years in prison, sentencing is scheduled for April 26th.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, tacony, homicide, shooting, animals, crime
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 46 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 44 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
44 min ago