Man convicted in Tacony 'dog waste' murder
TACONY - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man was convicted of murder and faces up to 45 years in prison for shooting his neighbor in a dispute over dog waste.
28-year-old Tyrirk Harris of Tacony was found guilty Friday of third degree murder.
The victim, 46-year-old Franklin Manuel Santana, was shot and killed in February 2012.
Santana, and his wife Roxanne had just welcomed a six-week-old baby.
Roxanne said her husband had just gotten home from work when he noticed that Harris' dogs, a German shepherd and a Chihuahua, had defecated in his yard. Neighbors say Santana asked Harris to please clean it up but, according to witnesses, what happened next was totally unexpected.
"He was telling the guy, 'please do not let your dog poop on my lawn; please, at least clean it up,'" witness Francis Fogarty said.
Fogarty said Harris answered back by saying, 'You're getting cocky with me?' According to Fogarty, Harris then shot Santana in the face. As Santana fell, witnesses say, Harris fired several more shots at him.
Harris was later taken into custody and charged.
While he faces up to 45 years in prison, sentencing is scheduled for April 26th.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, tacony, homicide, shooting, animals, crime
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 56 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos