Man convicted in Tacony 'dog waste' murder
TACONY - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man was convicted of murder and faces up to 45 years in prison for shooting his neighbor in a dispute over dog waste.
28-year-old Tyrirk Harris of Tacony was found guilty Friday of third degree murder.
The victim, 46-year-old Franklin Manuel Santana, was shot and killed in February 2012.
Santana, and his wife Roxanne had just welcomed a six-week-old baby.
Roxanne said her husband had just gotten home from work when he noticed that Harris' dogs, a German shepherd and a Chihuahua, had defecated in his yard. Neighbors say Santana asked Harris to please clean it up but, according to witnesses, what happened next was totally unexpected.
"He was telling the guy, 'please do not let your dog poop on my lawn; please, at least clean it up,'" witness Francis Fogarty said.
Fogarty said Harris answered back by saying, 'You're getting cocky with me?' According to Fogarty, Harris then shot Santana in the face. As Santana fell, witnesses say, Harris fired several more shots at him.
Harris was later taken into custody and charged.
While he faces up to 45 years in prison, sentencing is scheduled for April 26th.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, tacony, homicide, shooting, animals, crime
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 17 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos