Man convicted in Tacony 'dog waste' murder
TACONY - February 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man was convicted of murder and faces up to 45 years in prison for shooting his neighbor in a dispute over dog waste.
28-year-old Tyrirk Harris of Tacony was found guilty Friday of third degree murder.
The victim, 46-year-old Franklin Manuel Santana, was shot and killed in February 2012.
Santana, and his wife Roxanne had just welcomed a six-week-old baby.
Roxanne said her husband had just gotten home from work when he noticed that Harris' dogs, a German shepherd and a Chihuahua, had defecated in his yard. Neighbors say Santana asked Harris to please clean it up but, according to witnesses, what happened next was totally unexpected.
"He was telling the guy, 'please do not let your dog poop on my lawn; please, at least clean it up,'" witness Francis Fogarty said.
Fogarty said Harris answered back by saying, 'You're getting cocky with me?' According to Fogarty, Harris then shot Santana in the face. As Santana fell, witnesses say, Harris fired several more shots at him.
Harris was later taken into custody and charged.
While he faces up to 45 years in prison, sentencing is scheduled for April 26th.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, tacony, homicide, shooting, animals, crime
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 34 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos