Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death
READING, Pa. - December 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- An eastern Pennsylvania woman has been sentenced to two to 23 months in prison for giving her baby granddaughter a fatal dose of morphine to ease the baby's teething pain.
Fifty-three-year-old Penny Kochel said before her sentencing Friday in Berks County Court that she wishes she'd have died instead of 14-month-old Leanna McEntee.
Leanna died of a lethal dose of morphine at Kochel's Heidelberg Township home in May 2009. Kochel pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter.
Kochel initially claimed she gave the baby a teething tablet and rubbed tequila on her gums to numb the pain. Toxicology tests showed the baby had morphine in her system.
Defense attorney James Polyak said his client had morphine because she was caring for her ill brother, who died two weeks after Leanna.
pennsylvania news, berks county news, homicide, baby death, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle 22 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
22 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
55 min ago