Yakov Smirnoff Gets Penn Degree
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - April 27, 2006 -- Standup comedian Yakov Smirnoff is getting a graduate degree in psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
Smirnoff told The Philadelphia Inquirer he plans to use his newfound knowledge in his act and his books. He hopes to create what he calls the "Age of Enlaughterment" - a period when love and laughter heal psychic scars.
In his Cold War heyday, the Ukranian-born comedian costarred with Robin Williams in the movie "Moscow on the Hudson" and was invited to perform at the White House.
Smirnoff says he plays 230 shows for a quarter (m) million fans a year. Thirteen years ago, he built his own theater in Branson, Mo.
(Copyright 2006 by the Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment 59 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- 2 injured in crash on I-95 near Cottman in Tacony
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra