'Babel,' 'Ugly Betty' Lead Honors At 2007 ALMA Awards
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - June 2, 2007 -- "Babel" won four awards, including outstanding motion picture, while the quirky TV comedy "Ugly Betty" also captured multiple honors Friday at the 2007 ALMA Awards, which honor achievements by Hispanic artists.
"Babel," which wove together stories in several languages on three continents, also earned the movie director award for Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, movie actress honor for Adriana Barraza and outstanding screenplay for Guillermo Arriaga.
The outstanding movie actor was Jesse Garcia for his work in "Quinceanera."
"Babel" was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won an Oscar for best score this year.
"Ugly Betty" earned the ALMA award for outstanding television series, miniseries or TV movie. Based on a Colombian telenovela, the ABC comedy-drama centers on a dowdy young Latina with a blazing spirit who intends to make her mark on the world.
Its star, America Ferrera, was named outstanding actress, Ana Ortiz earned the supporting actress award and Silvio Horta received a writing nod for the pilot.
The National Council of La Raza, the country's largest Hispanic advocacy organization, created the ALMA Awards in 1995 to honor Hispanic performers and promote positive images of Hispanics in entertainment. ALMA stands for American Latino Media Arts and also means "soul" in Spanish.
The awards were presented at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. The ceremony will be televised June 5 on ABC.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor 46 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 25 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution' 58 min ago
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
25 min ago