False: Xmas Not Biggest Movie Day of the Year
December 25, 2008 -- There may be five major movies opening Christmas Day, but the chance of any of them becoming the biggest box-office hit of the year is about as big as the chance of Santa being real.
"There are other days, like the day 'The Dark Knight' opened, that'll blow everything else into the weeds," said Paul Dergarabedian, who heads up box-office analysis agency Media by Numbers. "How big Christmas is for the industry depends on the movies that are in the marketplace and how well they do."
This yearthose movies are "Marley & Me" (starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson); "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett); "Valkyrie" (Tom Cruise); "Bedtime Stories" (Adam Sandler, Keri Russell); and "The Spirit" (Scarlett Johanssen, Eva Mendes). "Doubt," starring Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, goes into wide release today after opening Dec. 12.
There is, of course, a reason studios chose to open movies on Christmas Day.
"You've got a captive audience; a whole group of people who are home, off work and out of school, and they need something to do after their Christmas morning festivities if they're celebrating," Dergarabedian said. "It's corny, but it's Hollywood's Christmas gift to the public. And in a way, it's a gift to the industry as well. It's a marketing platform. It offers a great opportunity for the studios to get their movies into the marketplace with a big splash."
Sometimes it works: When it opened on Christmas Day 2001, "Ali," starring Will Smith, banked $10.2 million in 24 hours and 2002's "Catch Me If You Can" made $9.9 million on its Dec. 25 opening day. And it's not just feel-good fare that fares well: l Last year, "Alien vs. Predator: Requiem" made $9.5 million during its Christmas opening.
"Typically, Christmas Day generates better box office than the average midweek nonholiday day," said Dergarabedian. "You've got five big release newcomers and those are going to generate some heat."
So even if the industry doesn't break records today, it'll probably earn itself a nice holiday bonus.
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack 50 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 36 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 52 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos