15 documentary features make Oscar's short list
LOS ANGELES (AP) - November 19, 2009 -- Of the 89 documentary films eligible for Oscar consideration this year, 15 were selected for a short list of potential nominees, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Wednesday.
Some of the year's most popular documentary features were overlooked, including Michael Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story." The R-rated film was praised by critics and earned more than $14 million at the box office.
Also omitted from Oscar consideration was the well-reviewed Mike Tyson documentary "Tyson," the rock-doc "It Might Get Loud," and the story of Vogue magazine and its editor-in-chief, "The September Issue."
The short list of films is determined by a committee of members of the academy's documentary branch. They watch all eligible contenders and vote for their favorites by secret ballot. The top vote-getters make the short list of potential nominees.
The selections this year are "The Beaches of Agnes;" "Burma VJ;" "The Cove;" "Every Little Step;" "Facing Ali;" "Food, Inc.;" "Garbage Dreams;" "Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders;" "The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers;" "Mugabe and the White African;" "Sergio;" "Soundtrack for a Revolution;" "Under Our Skin;" "Valentino The Last Emperor;" and "Which Way Home."
Five documentary features from that list will be chosen as nominees for the 82nd Academy Awards. Nominations will be announced Feb. 2, 2010 and the awards will be presented March 7.
oscars, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station