Toby Keith stands by war before Nobel performance
OSLO (AP) - December 11, 2009 -- American country singer Toby Keith says he won't apologize for supporting U.S. war efforts just hours before performing at the annual Nobel Peace Prize Concert.
Keith says he supports American troops who "fight evil" abroad and that he stands by President Barack Obama's decision to send more troops to Afghanistan. Obama is this year's Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
Norwegian parliamentarians and a former Norwegian Nobel Committee member have criticized the decision to invite an artist known for penning war anthems to perform at a concert promoting peace.
Keith spoke to journalists Friday alongside Nobel Concert hosts - rap artist Will Smith and his wife, actress Jada Pinkett Smith. Other artists, including British pop singer Natasha Bedingfield, also spoke.
toby keith, nobel prize, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 58 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 40 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 7 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 10 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball