Jaworski calls childhood obesity 'startling'
WASHINGTON (AP) - December 16, 2009 -- "Monday Night Football" analyst Ron Jaworski told Congress on Wednesday that childhood obesity levels in the U.S. are "startling" and that kids need to get more exercise to help stem the epidemic.
Jaworski, a former NFL quarterback, testified on behalf of both his United Way Jaws Youth Fund in New Jersey and NFL Play 60, a campaign that encourages youth to be active for at least 60 minutes a day.
"Gimme 60 minutes!" he said, making his points in the same animated way he dissects a blitz on TV. "I'm not saying take four hours a day, but find a way to get off the couch and gimme that 60 minutes."
Jaworski spoke at a House Energy and Commerce health subcommittee hearing, along with witnesses from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health and the American Academy of Pediatricians, among others. They painted a dire picture in which about one-third of children in the U.S. are overweight or obese.
"The facts surrounding childhood obesity in this country are startling," Jaworski told the panel.
Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, said he was concerned that some parents and kids might think that only structured, team-oriented sports are worthwhile.
Jaworski said that while the name NFL Play 60 might sound like a team-oriented campaign, "It's real simple: 60 minutes. It could be a walk in the park, it could be a ride on your bicycle. It does not have to be an organized team activity. ... Be as creative as you want, but find a way to get your exercise in."
Jaworski posed for photos with some lawmakers and signed autographs for staffers.
In an interview, Jaworski said he's been involved in the issue since 1989, when he fought a proposal in New Jersey to stop requiring gym classes in public high schools.
"At that time, all the computer games were coming into play and the term 'couch potato' was coming into play," Jaworski said. "Kids weren't getting activity. They need activity to be productive."
washington, d.c., obesity, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 57 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
56 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
57 min ago