Jaworski calls childhood obesity 'startling'
WASHINGTON (AP) - December 16, 2009 -- "Monday Night Football" analyst Ron Jaworski told Congress on Wednesday that childhood obesity levels in the U.S. are "startling" and that kids need to get more exercise to help stem the epidemic.
Jaworski, a former NFL quarterback, testified on behalf of both his United Way Jaws Youth Fund in New Jersey and NFL Play 60, a campaign that encourages youth to be active for at least 60 minutes a day.
"Gimme 60 minutes!" he said, making his points in the same animated way he dissects a blitz on TV. "I'm not saying take four hours a day, but find a way to get off the couch and gimme that 60 minutes."
Jaworski spoke at a House Energy and Commerce health subcommittee hearing, along with witnesses from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health and the American Academy of Pediatricians, among others. They painted a dire picture in which about one-third of children in the U.S. are overweight or obese.
"The facts surrounding childhood obesity in this country are startling," Jaworski told the panel.
Rep. Bruce Braley, D-Iowa, said he was concerned that some parents and kids might think that only structured, team-oriented sports are worthwhile.
Jaworski said that while the name NFL Play 60 might sound like a team-oriented campaign, "It's real simple: 60 minutes. It could be a walk in the park, it could be a ride on your bicycle. It does not have to be an organized team activity. ... Be as creative as you want, but find a way to get your exercise in."
Jaworski posed for photos with some lawmakers and signed autographs for staffers.
In an interview, Jaworski said he's been involved in the issue since 1989, when he fought a proposal in New Jersey to stop requiring gym classes in public high schools.
"At that time, all the computer games were coming into play and the term 'couch potato' was coming into play," Jaworski said. "Kids weren't getting activity. They need activity to be productive."
washington, d.c., obesity, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme 50 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 8 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 3 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 50 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
3 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos