Hugh Grant returns to films after 2-year absence
LONDON (AP) - December 17, 2009 -- It's been two years since Hugh Grant's last film, but he's returned to the big screen - opposite Sarah Jessica Parker - in "Did You Hear About the Morgans?"
"On the last film I did, `Music and Lyrics,' although I really enjoyed it and I liked the film, I did get terrible panic attacks," he says. "And I sort of thought after that `I'm not keen to have more panic attacks,' so that kept me away."
Grant, whose screen credits also include "Notting Hill" and "Four Weddings and a Funeral," says he was pleased to again work with Marc Lawrence, his director on "Two Weeks Notice" and "Music and Lyrics."
"I like the idea of being out in the Wild West. I love shooting on location, it's much more fun, and the whole dynamic of the character, of a guy who spends half the film trying to unfrost a woman, and I understand that dynamic," the 49-year-old actor says.
The woman his character wants to melt is his wife, played by Parker. (The Manhattan couple, who are in a rocky marriage, are sent by the FBI. to Wyoming after they see a murder.)
"She's a laugh," Grant says of his co-star. "She's eccentric and very funny, weird sensibility. Very surprising things with Sarah Jessica, like the amount that she eats or the interest she takes in food, gigantic for a woman who's tiny. I've never seen a woman eat that much or that voraciously. She's like a locust."
Grant says he gets involved in script development, casting and editing of movies - even the selection of the poster. "But the one part that is probably my least favorite is the acting," he says.
"I did it as a joke job for a year after I left university," he says. "And I was so bad in the first things I did, I thought, `I've got to do another job to prove that I'm not quite that bad.' And that's gone on for 27 years now."
"Did You Hear About the Morgans?" opens in U.S. theaters Friday.
sarah jessica parker, hugh grant, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly 28 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 30 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos