Cowell says he's leaving `Idol'
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - January 11, 2010 -- Simon Cowell says that this will be his last season on "American Idol."
The cantankerous judge said that "The X Factor," a show he created and is a hit in Britain, will join Fox's schedule next year. Cowell will be on "The X Factor."
Cowell's decision is the biggest threat yet to what has been the country's most popular TV program and a true cultural force. This season, original host Paula Abdul has been replaced by Ellen DeGeneres.
But Cowell, with his caustic commentary, has long been seen as the big star of "Idol."
Cowell said it would have been difficult for him to do both shows. While he makes a reported $36 million a year to be on "American Idol," he owns "The X Factor" and could make much more if the show takes off.
simon cowell, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 46 min ago
- Another Beauty 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze 4 min ago
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly 20 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
46 min ago