Source: Deal near for O'Brien to leave `Tonight'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - January 15, 2010 -- NBC is nearing a deal with "Tonight" host Conan O'Brien to leave the network, freeing Jay Leno to reclaim the late-night show he stewarded for 17 years.
A person familiar with the negotiations says top NBC Universal executives and representatives for O'Brien on Friday were close to settling details of his departure. The person, who did not have the authority to discuss the issue, spoke on condition of anonymity.
The person says Universal Studios president and COO Ron Meyer is among those involved in the talks.
The focus is on how much O'Brien, who has time left on his NBC contract, would be paid for leaving and what limits NBC may put on his future employment at another network.
nbc, jay leno, conan obrien, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 1 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County 58 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 34 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police