Leno featured comic at White House dinner
WASHINGTON (AP) - January 22, 2011 -- Late-night comic Jay Leno is the featured entertainer at the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner in Washington.
WHCA President Ed Chen said the black-tie, nationally televised dinner to feature Leno - in the news lately for an ugly dispute with Conan O'Brien over NBC's late-night lineup - is being held this year on May 1.
The dinner is traditionally attended every year by the president, who delivers a comic keynote that rivals - and sometimes surpasses - the hired entertainment.
O'Brien sealed a $45 million deal for himself and his staff this week to leave NBC and return Leno as host of "The Tonight Show." O'Brien had replaced Leno as host less than a year ago.
The dinner attracts about 3,000 Washington elite and press as well as Hollywood celebrities. The association was formed in 1914 as a liaison between the White House press corps and the presidents they cover. Every president since Calvin Coolidge has attended the dinner.
jay leno, president barack obama, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 53 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 43 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 14 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos