Former tennis great Ilie Nastase to divorce
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - February 12, 2010 -- Former tennis great Ilie Nastase says he and his wife are divorcing after seven years of marriage.
The 63-year-old Nastase said Friday he and Amalia Nastase "are at a crossroads and can only continue as friends and business partners."
Nastase was one of the top players of the 1970s, winning the US Open in 1972, and the French Open in 1973. He was a Wimbledon singles finalist in 1972 and 1976.
The long-haired Romanian was perhaps best known for his colorful personality and entertaining antics, which earned him the nickname "Nasty."
A national hero in Romania, Nastase married 34-year-old Amalia Nastase in 2003 after dating for six years, and they have two daughters. It was his third marriage.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
16 min ago