Judge praises Chris Brown's probation progress
LOS ANGELES (AP) - February 18, 2010 -- A judge on Thursday praised Chris Brown for diligence in completing the terms of his probation for last year's attack on his then-girlfriend, Rihanna.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia M. Schnegg said Brown hasn't missed a session of domestic violence counseling and completed 32 days of community labor in Virginia.
"It looks like you're doing really, really well," Schnegg said. "That's always good to see."
Brown spoke only once during the brief hearing, telling the judge "thank you" after her comments.
The R&B singer was sentenced last year to five years of probation and six months of community labor after pleading guilty to felony assault. He was charged after an attack on Rihanna hours before the 2009 Grammy Awards.
Brown was permitted to serve probation in his home state of Virginia, but the judge wanted him to return to court in Los Angeles for frequent updates.
Schnegg also ruled Thursday that Brown, 20, can travel out of the United States for concert dates in May and June. The countries Brown is permitted to travel to weren't immediately disclosed.
Brown will be back in court May 11 for another update. "By the time you come back, you'll be way over halfway there," Schnegg told Brown.
Before his arrest last year, Brown had a squeaky-clean image and was known for his dance moves and his hit "Run It!" His latest album, "Graffiti," was released in December.
chris brown, rihanna, los angeles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police