Snipes asks 'What's new?' about IRS plane crash
WASHINGTON (AP) - - February 19, 2010 -- Actor Wesley Snipes, who has tax problems of his own, had a blunt reaction to news about a software engineer who crashed his plane into an office building with nearly 200 IRS employees inside.
In an interview Friday with the Associated Press, Snipes asked, "What's new?"
Authorities say A. Joseph Stack III, who was furious with the Internal Revenue Service, crashed his plane into an Austin, Texas, building on Thursday. Stack and one other person were killed.
Snipes said tax problems have been an issue in the U.S. from the very beginning.
As the actor put it: "I think it was an issue even for the early colonists and the British, so what's new?"
Snipes, 47, was convicted in 2008 of not paying taxes for three years. He was sentenced to three years in prison and is appealing.
Despite his legal troubles, Snipes said, "All is very well.We're very positive, we're very confident that things will work out to our benefit and to our favor."
He brushed off the experience as just another part of living.
"These are the bumps and bruises of life. They build character and you learn from it as you move on."
Snipes says he still doesn't understand why the IRS pursued him.
He added, "I'm not a politician, I'm not saving the world, I haven't created a cure for cancer, I make movies ..."
In 2006, "Survivor" winner Richard Hatch was convicted of not paying his taxes and spent more than three years in jail. He complained that the IRS used him as an example.
In Snipes' opinion, "they were successful."
wesley snipes, irs, washington, d.c., taxes, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 45 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos