Diversity in the arts celebrated at Image Awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) - February 26, 2010 -- Mary J. Blige, Morgan Freeman, Jamie Foxx and Sandra Bullock are among the stars set to celebrate diversity in the arts at the 41st annual NAACP Image Awards on Friday.
Presented by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the Image Awards honor outstanding achievements in film, television, music and literature.
"Precious," the story of an illiterate and abused teen who finds hope in a Harlem classroom, has a leading eight nominations. Up for outstanding motion picture and outstanding independent film, "Precious" also earned nominations for director Lee Daniels, star Gabourey Sidibe and supporting actors Mariah Carey, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton and Lenny Kravitz.
Other nominated films include "Invictus," "Michael Jackson's This Is It," "The Blind Side" and "The Princess and the Frog."
Jay-Z tops the nominees in the music category with five nominations, including outstanding male artist and album for "The Blueprint 3."
In TV categories, nominated dramas include "Cold Case," "Grey's Anatomy," "HawthoRNe," "Lincoln Heights" and "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency." "Glee," "30 Rock," "Ugly Betty," "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Tyler Perry's House of Payne" are nominated for outstanding comedy series.
Tyler Perry will receive the Chairman's Award for his career and philanthropic work. Wyclef Jean will be presented with the Vanguard Award, which honors an artist whose work increases understanding of social and racial issues.
Jean, Keri Hilson, John Legend, Carlos Santana and The Roots are set to perform on the show.
Anika Noni Rose, a nominee for her starring role in "The Princess and the Frog," is set to host the ceremony at the Shrine Auditorium with "CSI:NY" star Hill Harper. Mo'Nique, Alfre Woodard, Maxwell, Selena Gomez and the cast of "Glee" are also expected to appear on the show, which will be broadcast live on Fox (8 p.m. EST).
los angeles, private practice, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philadelphia 22 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos