Beyonce in Brooklyn, helping substance abusers
NEW YORK (AP) - March 4, 2010 -- The president of Brooklyn has declared Beyonce an official Brooklynite.
Borough President Marty Markowitz said Beyonce is a Brooklynite by marriage and by moxie. Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z, is from Brooklyn.
The superstar visited the New York City borough Friday for the opening of the Beyonce Cosmetology Center at a residential substance abuse treatment center.
The Phoenix House offers programs for residents in carpentry, building maintenance, computer technology and culinary arts.
Beyonce said she thought it also should have more programs geared toward women. She said her mother's Houston salon helped so many people feel good about themselves and better their lives.
Beyonce first spent time at Phoenix House when preparing for the role of Etta James in the 2008 film, "Cadillac Records."
beyonce, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 3 min ago
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos