Beyonce in Brooklyn, helping substance abusers
NEW YORK (AP) - March 4, 2010 -- The president of Brooklyn has declared Beyonce an official Brooklynite.
Borough President Marty Markowitz said Beyonce is a Brooklynite by marriage and by moxie. Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z, is from Brooklyn.
The superstar visited the New York City borough Friday for the opening of the Beyonce Cosmetology Center at a residential substance abuse treatment center.
The Phoenix House offers programs for residents in carpentry, building maintenance, computer technology and culinary arts.
Beyonce said she thought it also should have more programs geared toward women. She said her mother's Houston salon helped so many people feel good about themselves and better their lives.
Beyonce first spent time at Phoenix House when preparing for the role of Etta James in the 2008 film, "Cadillac Records."
beyonce, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 25 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Man swallows gold bars in India
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos