Prince Charles views Polish bison, without Camilla
WARSAW, Poland (AP) - March 16, 2010 -- Prince Charles' wife, Camilla, canceled plans to visit a Polish forest and a mosque with him due to back pain.
Camilla has a pinched nerve in her back, Clarence House said. It said that, on medical advice, she canceled plans to travel with her husband from Warsaw to eastern Poland, where the prince is to visit a bison reserve in a primeval forest and a mosque belonging to Poland's tiny Muslim Tatar community.
Camilla instead will visit the British Embassy in Warsaw and view a new museum on the life of Polish piano composer Frederic Chopin.
The couple arrived Monday in Poland, starting a nine-day visit to central Europe that will also take them to Hungary and the Czech Republic.
On Monday evening, the couple were guests at a state banquet held by Polish President Lech Kaczynski and his wife, Maria. Charles gave a speech praising the historical links between Britain and Poland, mentioning the half-Polish King Canute, who ruled England in the 11th century as well as the Polish pilots who fought against Nazi Germany in the Battle of Britain.
Charles also referred to some of his charities that have been active in Poland since after the fall of communism in 1989.
"I was particularly keen to do what little I could to help your country after the collapse of communism, having for so long held a combination of profound admiration and heartfelt sympathy for the appalling suffering of the Polish people," he said, according to the Press Association news agency.
prince charles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 14 min ago
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 47 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber