Warrant issued for Lil Wayne in Arizona case
YUMA, Ariz. (AP) - March 16, 2010 -- A bench warrant was issued Tuesday for Grammy Award-winning rapper Lil Wayne, who is facing drug and weapons charges in Arizona.
A Yuma County Superior Court judge issued the warrant after the entertainer, whose real name is Dwayne Carter, failed to appear in court for a final trial management conference.
But Lil Wayne's attorney, James Tilson, said his client couldn't appear because he's serving a one-year jail sentence in New York for having a loaded gun on his tour bus. The rapper began serving that sentence March 8 at the Rikers Island jail complex.
Lil Wayne was arrested in January 2008 at a border checkpoint 78 miles east of Yuma after authorities say they found cocaine, Ecstasy and a handgun on his tour bus.
The 27-year-old rap star has been charged with one count each of possession of a narcotic drug for sale, possession of dangerous drugs, misconduct involving weapons and one count of possession of drug paraphernalia. He has plead not guilty to all the charges.
Tilson said he has filed motions to have Lil Wayne's March 30 trial date vacated, and asked the court that his client be allowed to appear in Yuma when he finishes his New York jail sentence. He also has asked that his bond remain the same.
"It does not appear that a trial will be occurring anytime within the next eight to 12 months," Tilson said.
But Yuma County prosecutor Deann Sandry said it was the state's position that Lil Wayne is now a convicted felon and that a bench warrant should be issued and his bond be increased to $150,000.
Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III" was the best-selling album of 2008 and won a Grammy for best rap album. His latest album, "Rebirth," was released last month.
arizona, guns, lil wayne, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 8 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse 21 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 1 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began 4 min ago
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 50 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad