Alicia Keys, Shakira among stars for WCup concert
JOHANNESBURG (AP) -March 17, 2010 -- Alicia Keys, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas and John Legend will perform at the World Cup kickoff concert in Johannesburg.
FIFA announced the lineup of musical stars Wednesday for the concert on June 10, the day before the opening match.
The concert also will feature a strong African presence with South African folk singer Vusi Mahlasela and Malian artists Amadou and Mariam. South African rock bands BLK JKS and The Parlotones also will perform as the country prepares to be the first African host in the 80-year history of the tournament.
FIFA selected Emmy Award-winning producer Kevin Wall to produce the concert at Soweto's Orlando Stadium.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said the concert would celebrate the unifying power of soccer and music.
alicia keys, shakira, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 12 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
47 min ago