Alicia Keys, Shakira among stars for WCup concert
JOHANNESBURG (AP) -March 17, 2010 -- Alicia Keys, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas and John Legend will perform at the World Cup kickoff concert in Johannesburg.
FIFA announced the lineup of musical stars Wednesday for the concert on June 10, the day before the opening match.
The concert also will feature a strong African presence with South African folk singer Vusi Mahlasela and Malian artists Amadou and Mariam. South African rock bands BLK JKS and The Parlotones also will perform as the country prepares to be the first African host in the 80-year history of the tournament.
FIFA selected Emmy Award-winning producer Kevin Wall to produce the concert at Soweto's Orlando Stadium.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said the concert would celebrate the unifying power of soccer and music.
alicia keys, shakira, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ