Alicia Keys, Shakira among stars for WCup concert
JOHANNESBURG (AP) -March 17, 2010 -- Alicia Keys, Shakira, Black Eyed Peas and John Legend will perform at the World Cup kickoff concert in Johannesburg.
FIFA announced the lineup of musical stars Wednesday for the concert on June 10, the day before the opening match.
The concert also will feature a strong African presence with South African folk singer Vusi Mahlasela and Malian artists Amadou and Mariam. South African rock bands BLK JKS and The Parlotones also will perform as the country prepares to be the first African host in the 80-year history of the tournament.
FIFA selected Emmy Award-winning producer Kevin Wall to produce the concert at Soweto's Orlando Stadium.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said the concert would celebrate the unifying power of soccer and music.
alicia keys, shakira, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- One Fine Friday!
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Hazmat spill sends 5 to hospital in Bucks County
- Mother charged with assaulting student at school
- 3 sought for robbery of 15-year-old
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- City remembers fallen firefighter Michael Goodwin
- Man wanted for exposing himself in Montco
- Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
- Cops: Pa. woman served laced burritos to family
- Reading family loses son to swinging rope game