Lawyer: ESPN's Erin Andrews getting death threats
LOS ANGELES (AP) - April 2, 2010 -- Erin Andrews has been getting death threats in a stream of e-mails to a media outlet, an attorney for the ESPN reporter and "Dancing with the Stars" contestant said Friday.
Attorney Marshall Grossman said that the media outlet, which he did not identify, had received at least a dozen e-mails since September threatening Andrews and passed them to her representatives Thursday.
The e-mails were at first sexual, but the most recent were explicitly violent and "threatened Erin with murder," Grossman said. They also had details about location and method.
The messages discuss the case of Michael David Barrett, who was sentenced last month to 2½ years in federal prison for secretly shooting nude videos of the ESPN reporter.
"He refers to Barrett in his e-mail in a way to make clear to us that situation had some influence," Grossman said, but added that the man appeared to have no ties to Barrett.
The FBI has been notified, Grossman said. He said the man's identity is known to law enforcement and is believed to live on the East Coast. An e-mail message left for an FBI spokeswoman was not immediately returned.
Andrews is not yet seeking a restraining order but has asked ABC to beef up its security on "Dancing with the Stars," Grossman said.
Private security also has been hired to protect Andrews and her family.
Andrews has no plans of quitting the show.
"She's not the type to be easily threatened," Grossman said. "She has every intention to meet her obligations."
california, los angeles, erin andrews, espn, dancing with the stars, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 15 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 45 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 43 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 48 min ago
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber